Protecting your rights
If you have been charged with, or are under investigation for, any of the many sex crimes, you risk a conviction that could affect every aspect of your life. The attorneys at Budd Bay Law, P.S. bring more than 150 years of combined legal experience to ensuring that their clients get a fair hearing. Our incomparable knowledge of all facets of the Washington State criminal justice system guarantees that your rights are protected through the entire legal process.
There are four categories of sex offenses under Washington State law, depending on the level of contact between the alleged perpetrator and the victim. These are crimes:
- Involving sexual intercourse
- Involving sexual contact and no intercourse
- Involving only sexual communication
- Against minors
Penalties for sex offenses depend on the crime’s seriousness and whether the offender has prior offenses.
Class A felonies are punishable by up to life in prison and/or a fine of up to $50,000:
- Rape involving sexual intercourse in which force is used or threatened
- Rape involving intercourse of a child under 14
- Molestation of a child younger than 12 by an offender who is at least 36 months older
Class B felonies incur prison term of up to ten years and/or a fine in the amount $20,000:
- Incest in the first degree involving sexual intercourse between related individuals
- Indecent liberties involving sexual contact (but not intercourse) through force or when the other person is incapable of consent through incapacity, mental disability or medical treatment
- Child molestation in the second degree, when the offender is at least 36 months older than a victim who is at least 12
Class C felonies can result in prison for up to five years and/or a fine in the amount of $10,000. These include incest in the second degree involving sexual contact and no intercourse, certain forms of restricted sexual communication, child rape, sexual misconduct with a minor, and child molestation.
Gross misdemeanor sex offenses include some forms of sexual communication with a minor for immoral purposes and Sexual Misconduct with a Minor in the second degree. They are punishable by no more than one year in a county jail, and/or a fine of up to $5,000.
A convicted defendant is usually required to register as a sexual offender.
You deserve a fair hearing
Untold numbers of lives have been ruined by false sex offense accusations and the imposition of excessively harsh penalties. Reasons for these false accusations include:
- Lying about consensual sex
- Child custody disputes
- To gain financial advantage
A conviction for a sex crime can cast a terrible shadow over the rest of your life and affect your future employment and housing opportunities. You need an attorney who is experienced in sex crimes defense. An aggressive defense can demonstrate how evidence might have been suppressed or testimony could be tainted. Improper investigation techniques, exaggeration or even false accusations can be proven. At Budd Bay Law, P.S. we build compelling defenses for our clients.
You deserve a strong defense. Call Budd Bay Law, P.S. today
When your freedom and good reputation are at stake, you need a forceful criminal defense attorney. Budd Bay Law, P.S. has provided vigorous and effective defense in hundreds of sex crime felony trials. Call our offices today or contact us online for immediate assistance if you are facing sex crime charges in Olympia, WA.